Online Encyclopedia

ABU HAMED

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 78 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ABU HAMED, a town of the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan on the' right bank of the Nile, 345 M. by rail N. of Khartum. It stands at the centre of the great S-shaped bend of the Nile, and from it the railway to Wadi Haifa strikes straight across the Nubian desert, a little west of the old caravan route to Korosko. A branch railway, 138 m. long, from Abu Hamed goes down the right bank of the Nile to Kareima in the Dongola mudiria. The town is named after a celebrated sheikh buried here, by whose tomb travellers crossing the desert used formerly to deposit all superfluous goods, the sanctity of the saint's tomb ensuring their safety.
End of Article: ABU HAMED
[back]
ABU
[next]
ABU HANIFA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.