Online Encyclopedia

ADOWA (properly ADUA)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 214 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ADOWA (properly ADUA), the capital of Tigre, northern Abyssinia, 145 M. N.E. of Gondar and 17 M. E. by N. of Axum, the ancient capital of Abyssinia. Adowa is built on the slope of a hill at an elevation of 65oo ft., in the midst of a rich agricultural district. Being on the high road from Massawa to central Abyssinia, it is a meeting-place of merchants from Arabia and the Sudan for the exchange of foreign merchandise with the products of the country. During the wars between the Italians and Abyssinia (1887-0) Adowa was on three or four occasions looted and burnt; but the churches escaped destruction. The church of the Holy Trinity, one. of the largest in Abyssinia, contains numerous wall-paintings of native art. On a hill about 22 M. north-west of Adowa are the ruins of Fremona, the headquarters of the Portuguese Jesuits who lived in Abyssinil during the 16th and 17th centuries. On the 1st of March 1896, in the hills north of the town, was fought the battle of Adowa; in which the Abyssinians inflicted a crushing defeat on the Italian forces (see ITALY, History, and ABYSSINIA, History).
End of Article: ADOWA (properly ADUA)
[back]
ADOUR (anc. Aturrus or Adurus, from Celtic dour, wa...
[next]
ADRA (anc. Abdera)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.