Online Encyclopedia

AESERNIA (mod. Isernia)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 276 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
AESERNIA (mod. Isernia), a Samnite town on the road from Beneventum to Corfinium, 58 m. to the north-east of the former, at the junction of a road going past Venafrum to the Via Latina. These routes are all followed by modern railways—the lines to Campobasso, Sulmona and Caianello. A Roman colony was established there in 263 B.C. It became the headquarters of the Italian revolt after the loss of Corfinium, and was only recovered by Sulla at the end of the war, in 8o B.c. Remains of its fortifica-tions are still preserved—massive cyclopean walls, which serve as foundation to the walls of the modern town and of a Roman bridge, and the subterranean channel of an aqueduct, cut in the rock, and dating from Roman times.
End of Article: AESERNIA (mod. Isernia)
[back]
AESCULAPIUS (Gr. 'AoKXiprtos)
[next]
AESOP (Gr. Aivwvros)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.