Online Encyclopedia

AGDE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 372 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
AGDE, a town of southern France, in the department of Herault, on the left bank of the river of that name, 21 M. from the Mediterranean Sea and 32 M. S.W. of Montpellier on the Southern railway. Pop. (1906) 7146. The town lies at the foot of an extinct volcano, the Montagne St Loup, and is built of black volcanic basalt, which gives it a gloomy appearance. Overlooking the river is the church of St Andre, which dates partly from the 12th century, and, till the Revolution, was a cathedral. It is a plain and massive structure with crenelated walls, and has the aspect of a fortress rather than of a church. The exterior is diversified by arched recesses forming machicolations, and the same architectural .feature is reproduced in the square tower which rises like a donjon above the building. The Canal du Midi, or Languedoc canal, uniting the Garonne with the Mediterranean, passes under the walls of the town, and the mouth of the Herault forms a harbour which is protected by a fort. The maritime commerce of the town has declined, owing partly to the neighbourhood of Cette, partly to the shallowness of the Herault. The fishing industry is, however, still active. The chief public institutions are the tribunal of commerce and the communal college. Agde is a place of great antiquity and is said to have been founded under the name of a'yaOi rats (Good City) by the Phocaeans. The bishopric was established about the year 400 and was suppressed in 1790.
End of Article: AGDE
[back]
AGAVE
[next]
AGE (Fr. age, through late Lat. aetaticum, from aet...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.