Online Encyclopedia

AIRDRIE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 443 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
AIRDRIE, a municipal and police burgh of Lanarkshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 22,228. It is situated 11 in. E. of Glasgow by the North British railway, and also communicates with Glasgow by the Monkland Canal (which passes within 1 m. Of the town), as well as by the Caledonian railway via Coatbridge and Whifflet. The canal was constructed between I761 and 1790, and connects with the Forth and Clyde Canal near Mary-hill. Airdrie was a market town in 1695, but owes its prosperity to the great coal and iron beds in its vicinity. Other industries include iron and brass foundries, engineering, manufactures of woollens and calicoes,' silk-weaving, paper-making, oil and fireclay. The public buildings comprise the town hall, county buildings, mechanics' institute, academy, two fever hospitals and free library, the burgh having been the first town in Scotland to adopt the Free Library Act. Airdrie unites with Falkirk, Hamilton, Lanark and Linlithgow in sending one member to parliament. The parish of New Monkland, in which Airdrie lies, was formed (with Old Monkland)in 1640 out of the ancient barony of Monkland, so named from the fact that it was part of the lands granted by Malcolm IV. to the monks of Newbattle.
End of Article: AIRDRIE
[back]
THOMAS AIRD (1802-1876)
[next]
AIRE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.