Online Encyclopedia

AIVALI (Gr. Kydonia)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 448 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
AIVALI (Gr. Kydonia), a prosperous town on the W. coast of Asia Minor, opposite the island of Mitylene. Pop. 21,000. It stands near the site of the Aeolian Heraclea, on rising ground at the end of a bay which is separated from the Gulf of Adramyttium, and protected from the prevailing winds by the Moschonisi Islands (Hecatonnesoi). In 1821 it was burned to the ground during a fight between the Turks and the Greeks, and a large number of its Greek population killed or enslaved. It is one of the most thriving towns in the Levant, with a purely Greek population distinguished for its commercial, industrial and maritime enterprise. The exports are olive oil, grain and wood, and a fleet of fishing-boats supplies Constantinople and Smyrna with fish; the exports in 1902 were valued at £987,070, and the imports at £336,693.
End of Article: AIVALI (Gr. Kydonia)
[back]
LIEUWE AITZEMA (LEO) VAN (1600-1669)
[next]
AIWAN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.