Online Encyclopedia

ALBENGA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 493 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ALBENGA, a town and episcopal see of Liguria, Italy, on the N.W. coast of the Gulf of Genoa, in the province of Genoa, 522 m. S.W. of Genoa by rail. Pop. (1901) 6248. Albenga is the ancient Album Ingaunum or Albingaunum, the chief town of the Ingauni, one of the most important of the Ligurian tribes, whose territory reached as far as Genoa. Under the empire it was a municpium; an inscription records the restoration of the walls, forum, harbour, &c., by Constantius A.D. 354. A little way out-side the town to the E. is a well-preserved Roman bridge nearly 500 ft. long and 112 ft. wide, with ro arches, each,with a span of 37 ft. It belonged to the coast road and is now known as Ponte Lunge. To the S. of the town is a conspicuous monument, 27 ft. high, in the form of a rectangular pillar, resembling a tomb; but as there is no trace of a door to a sepulchral chamber it may be. a shrine. In the town itself there are no Roman remains; but there is a good Gothic cathedral in brick, and an interesting octagonal baptistery, attributed to the 8th or 9th century, the arches being supported by ancient columns, and the vaulting decorated with mosaics. Some of the medieval palaces of Albenga have lofty brick towers. See A. d'Andrade in Relazione dell' Ufficio Regionale per la Con servazione dei monumenti del Piemonte e della Liguria (Turin, 1899), 114 seq.
End of Article: ALBENGA
[back]
EARLS AND DUKES OF ALBEMARLE
[next]
GIULIO ALBERONI (1664-1752)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.