Online Encyclopedia

ALENCON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 541 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ALENCON, a town of north-western France, capital, of the department of Orne, 36 m. N. of Le Mans. on a branch line of the Western railway. Pop (1906) 14,378. Alencon, a clean, regularly built town with broad handsome streets, is situated in a wide and fertile plain, on the Sarthe at its confluence with the Briante. The only remains of the ancient castle of Alencon are two towers of the 15th century, which serve as a prison, and a third of the 14th century known as the Tour Couronnee, to yvhich they are united. Notre-Dame, the chief church, dates from the 15th century. It is remarkable for a porch ornamented in the richest Gothic style, and for its stained windows of the 16th century. Alencon has a large circular corn-market and a cloth-market. The manufacture of the point d'Alengon lace has greatly diminished. The weaving and bleaching of cloth, which is of less importance than formerly, the manufacture of vehicles, and tanning are carried on; there is a large trade in the horses of the district, and granite is worked in the neighbourhood. Alencon is the seat of a prefect and a court of assizes. It has tribunals of first instance and of commerce, a board of trade-arbitrators, a lycee, training-colleges and ' a chamber of arts and manufactures.
End of Article: ALENCON
[back]
ALENC
[next]
GIULIO ALENIO (1582-1649)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.