Online Encyclopedia

ALEXANDROPOL, or ALEXANDRAPOL

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 576 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ALEXANDROPOL, or ALEXANDRAPOL. (Turk. Gumri), a Russian town and fortified camp in Transcaucasia, government of Erivan, near the junction of the Arpa-chai with the Aras, 48 m. by rail E.N.E. of Kars. Altitude 5080 ft. It has a trade in silk. Here the Russians defeated the Turks in 1853. Pop. (1885) 22,670; (1897) 32,735.
End of Article: ALEXANDROPOL, or ALEXANDRAPOL
[back]
ALEXANDRITE
[next]
ALEXANDROVSK

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.