Online Encyclopedia

ALEXANDROVSK

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 576 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ALEXANDROVSK. (1) A town of N. Russia, in the government of Archangel, on the harbour of Catherine (Ekaterininsk), on the Murman coast, 5 m. from the mouth of Kola Bay. It was opened in 1.899 and is a naval station, being free from ice all the year round. It is also, called Port Catherine. Pop. (1901) 300. (2) A town of S. Russia, 83 m. S. of Ekaterinoslav, on the railway to the Crimea, near the left bank of the Dnieper, below its rapids. Pop. (1897) 16,393. Opposite it is the island of Khortitsa, upon which was the sicl (or syech) or camp of theZaporozhianCossacks. All its neighbourhood is strewn with kurgans (tumuli).
End of Article: ALEXANDROVSK
[back]
ALEXANDROPOL, or ALEXANDRAPOL
[next]
ALEXIS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.