Online Encyclopedia

ALMELO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 714 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ALMELO, a town in the province of Overysel, Holland, 12 M. by rail N.W. of Hengelo, at the junction of the Overysel and Almelo canals. Pop. (1900) 9957. It is a place of considerable antiquity, having been the seat of an independent lordship before the 14th century. But it first rose into importance in the second half of the 19th century owing to its share in the extra-ordinary industrial development of the Twente district, and now possesses numerous cotton and damask factories. Among the public buildings are a town hall, court house, corn exchange, and churches of various denominations, as well as a synagogue. The lordship of Almelo belonged to the lords of Heeckeren, who acquired the barony of Rechteren by marriage in 1350 and the countship of Limpourg in 1711. The elder branch of the mediatized house of Rechteren-Limpourg is still established at Almelo; the younger, German branch, at Markt Einersheim in Bavaria.
End of Article: ALMELO
[back]
DOM FRANCISCO DE ALMEIDA (c. 1450-1510)
[next]
ALMENDRALEJO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.