Online Encyclopedia

ANAPA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 914 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ANAPA, a seaport town of Russia, in the government of Kuban, on the N. coast of the Black Sea, 45 M. S.E. from the Strait of Yenikale or Kerch, giving access to the Sea of Azov. It 914 was originally built in 1781 as a frontier fortress of the Turks against Russia. Three times captured by the Russians, in 1791, 18o7 and 1828, and twice restored by them, in 1792 and 1812, it was finally left in their hands by the treaty of Adrianople in 1829. During the Crimean War its fortifications were destroyed (1855) by the Russians themselves. Pop. (1897) 6676.
End of Article: ANAPA
[back]
ANANTAPUR
[next]
ANAPAEST (from Gr. ava1raulros, reversed)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.