Online Encyclopedia

ANDERSON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V01, Page 960 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ANDERSON, a city and the county-seat of Madison county, Indiana, U.S.A., situated on the west fork of the White river, about 35 M. N.E. of Indianapolis. Pop. (188o) 4126; (1Sgo) 10,741; (1900) 20,178, of whom 1o8r were foreign-born; (r610, census) 22,476. It is served by the Central Indiana, the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis, and the Pittsburg, Chicago & St Louis railways, and also by the Indiana Union Traction System (electric), the general offices and central power plant of which are situated there. Its importance as a manufacturing centre is due to its location in the natural gas region. In 1905 Anderson ranked first among the cities of the state in the manufacture of carriage and wagon material, and iron and steel. Among its many other manufactures are glass and glass-ware, paper, strawboards, crockery and tiles. In 1905 the total factory product was valued at $8,314,760. There is a good public library; much attention has been devoted to public improvements; and the water works and the electric lighting plants are owned and operated by the city. In connexion with the water works there is a good filtration plant. First settled about 1822, Anderson was incorporated in 1865.
End of Article: ANDERSON
[back]
HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN (1805-1875)
[next]
ADAM ANDERSON (1692—1765)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.