Online Encyclopedia

FRANCOIS ANGUIER (c. 1604—1669)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 42 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
FRANCOIS ANGUIER (c. 1604—1669), and MICHEL (1612—1686), French sculptors, were two brothers, natives of Eu in Normandy. Their apprenticeship was served in the studio of Simon Guillain. The chief works of Francois are the monument to Cardinal de Berulle, founder of the Carmelite order, i1v the chapel of the oratory at Paris, of which all but the bust has been destroyed, and the mausoleum of Henri II., last duc de Montmorency, at Moulins. To Michel are due the sculptures of the triumphal arch at the Porte St Denis, begun in 1674, to serve as a memorial for the conquests of Louis XIV. A marble group of the Nativity in the church of Val de Grace was reckoned his masterpiece. From 1662 to 1667 he directed the progress of the sculpture and decoration in this church, and it was he who superintended the decoration of the apartments of Anne of Austria in the old Louvre. F. Fouquet also employed him for his chateau in Vaux. See Henri Stein, Les freres Anguier (1889), with catalogue of works, and many references to original sources; Armand Sanson, Deux sculpteurs R'ormands: les freres Angular (1889).
End of Article: FRANCOIS ANGUIER (c. 1604—1669)
[back]
ANDERS JONAS ANGSTROM (1814-1874)
[next]
ANGUILLA, or SNAKE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.