Online Encyclopedia

ANSBACH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 81 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ANSBACH, or ANsPACH, originally Onolzbach, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, on the Rezat, 27 M. by rail S.W. of Nuremberg, and do m. N. of Munich. Pop. (1900) 17,555. It contains a palace, once the residence of the margraves of Anspach, with fine gardens; several churches, the finest of which are those dedicated to St John, containing the vault of the former margraves, and St Gumbert; a gymnasium; a picture gallery; a municipal museum and a special technicalschool. Ansbach possesses monuments to the poets August, Count von Platen-Hallermund, and Johann Peter Uz, who were born here, and to Kaspar Hauser, who died here. The chief manufactures are machinery, toys; woollen, cotton, and half-silk stuffs, embroideries, earthenware, tobacco, cutlery and playing cards. There is considerable trade in grain, wool and flax. In 1791 the last margrave of Anspach sold his principality to Frederick William II., king of Prussia; it was transferred by Napoleon to Bavaria in ,8o6, an act which was confirmed by the congress of Vienna in 1815.
End of Article: ANSBACH
[back]
ANSA (from Lat. ansa, a handle)
[next]
RICHARD ANSDELL (1815-1885)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.