Online Encyclopedia

ANTAKIA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 132 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ANTAKIA, the modern town, is still of considerable importance. Pop. about 25,000, including Ansarieh, Jews, and a large body of Christians of several denominations about 8000 strong. Though superseded by Aleppo (q.v.) as capital of N. Syria, it is still the centre of a large district, growing in wealth and productiveness with the draining of its central lake, undertaken by a French company. The principal cultures are tobacco, maize and cotton, and the mulberry for silk production. Liquorice also is collected and exported. In 1822 (as in 1872) Antakia suffered by earthquake, and when Ibrahim Pasha made it his headquarters in 1835, it had only some 5000 inhabitants. Its hopes, based on a Euphrates valley railway, which was to have started from its port of Suedia (Seleucia), were doomed to disappointment, and it has suffered repeatedly from visitations of cholera; but it has nevertheless grown rapidly and will resume much of its old importance when a railway is made down the lower Orontes valley. It is a 132 centre of American mission enterprise, and has a British vice-consul. See C. O. Muller, Antiquitates Antiochenae (1839); A. Freund, Beitrage zur antiochenischen . . Stadtchronik (1882) ; R. Forster, in Jahrbuch of Berlin Arch. Institute, xii. (1897). Also authorities for SYRIA. (D. G. H.)
End of Article: ANTAKIA
[back]
ANTAEUS
[next]
ANTALCIDAS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.