Online Encyclopedia

ARDMORE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 451 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ARDMORE, a township and the county-seat of Carter county, Oklahoma, U. S. A., just S. of the Arbuckle Mountains, about 120 M. S. by E. of Guthrie. Pop. (19o0) 5681; (1909) 8959 (2122 being negroes, and 1o8 Indians); (1910) 86x8. It is served by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the St Louis & San Francisco, and the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe railways. Ardmore is the market-town and distributing point for the surrounding agricultural region, which is the home of a large part of the Chickasaw and Choctaw nations. It is situated ARECIBO 451 890 ft. above the sea in a cotton and grain producing region, in which cattle are raised and fruit and vegetables grown; coal, oil, natural gas and rock asphalt (which is used for paving the streets of Ardmore) are found in the vicinity. Ardmore is an important cotton market, and has cotton gins, a cotton compress, machine shops, bridge works, foundries, bottling works and manufactories of cotton-seed oil, brick, concrete, flour, brooms, mattresses and dressed lumber. At Ardmore are the Saint Agnes Academy, a Catholic school for girls, and Saint Agnes College for boys, a conservatory of music, Hargrove College, and the Selvidge Commercial College. Near Ardmore is a summer school on the Chautauqua (q.v.) system. Ardmore was founded in 1887, and was incorporated in 1898.
End of Article: ARDMORE
[back]
LUIGI ARDITI (1822-1903)
[next]
ARDRES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.