Online Encyclopedia

ARDROSSAN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 451 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ARDROSSAN, a seaport, burgh of barony, and police burgh of Ayrshire, Scotland, 32 M. from Glasgow by the Glasgow & South-Western railway, and 291 M. by the Lanarkshire & Ayrshire branch of the Caledonian railway. Pop. (1901) 6079. The rise of Ardrossan was due to the enterprise of Hugh, 12th earl of Eglinton, who began the construction of the present town and harbour in 18o6. The harbour was intended to be in connexion with a canal from Glasgow to Ardrossan, but this was only completed as far as Johnstone. Owing to the costliness of the undertaking, and the death of the earl in 1819, the works were suspended after an outlay of £1oo,000, but his successor completed the scheme on a reduced scale at an expense of another £1oo,000. The dock accommodation has since been consider-ably extended, and the town enjoys great prosperity. Steamers run every week-day to Arran and Belfast, and during summer there is a service also to Douglas in the Isle of Man. The exports consist principally of coal and iron from collieries and iron-works in the neighbourhood; and the imports of timber, ores and general goods. Shipbuilding thrives and the fisheries are important. The town is governed by a provost and council.
End of Article: ARDROSSAN
[back]
ARDRES
[next]
AREA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.