Online Encyclopedia

ARGENTAN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 460 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ARGENTAN, a town of north-western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Orne, 27 M. N.N.W. of Alencon on the railway from Le Mans to Caen. Pop. (1906) 5072. It is situated on the slope of a hill on the right bank of the Orne at its confluence with the Ure. The town has remains ofold fortifications, among them the Tour Marguerite, and a chateau, now used as a law-court, dating from the 15th century. The church of St Germain (15th, 16th and 17th centuries) has several features of architectural beauty, notably the sculptured northern portal, and the central and western towers. The church of St Martin, dating from the 15th century, has good stained glass. The handsome modern town-hall contains among other institutions the tribunal of commerce, the museum and the library. Argentan is the seat of a sub-prefect, has a tribunal of first instance and a communal college. Leather-working and the manufacture of stained glass are leading industries. There are quarries of limestone in the vicinity. Argentan was a viscounty from the 11th century onwards; it was often taken and pillaged. During the Religious Wars it remained attached to the Catholic party. Francois Eudes de Mezeray, the historian, was born near the town, and a monument has been erected to his memory.
End of Article: ARGENTAN
[back]
ARGENSON
[next]
ARGENTEUIL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.