Online Encyclopedia

ARKANSAS CITY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 556 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ARKANSAS CITY, a city of Cowley county, Kansas, U.S.A., situated near the S. boundary of the state, in the fork of the Arkansas and Walnut rivers. Pop. (189o) 8347; (1900) 6140, of whom 302 were negroes; (1905) 7634; (1910) 7508. The city is served by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, the Missouri Pacific, the St Louis & San Francisco, the Midland Valley and the Kansas South-Western railways. To the south is the Chilocco Indian school (in Key county, Oklahoma), established by the U.S. government in 1884. A canal joining the Arkansas and Walnut rivers furnishes good water power. The manufactories include flour mills, packing establishments, a creamery and a paint factory. The city is situated in the midst of a rich agricultural, region and is a supply centre for southern Kansas and Oklahoma, with large jobbing interests. The municipality owns and operates the water-works. Arkansas City, first known as Creswell, was settled in 187o, was chartered as a city under its present name in 1872 and was rechartered in 1880.
End of Article: ARKANSAS CITY
[back]
ARKANSAS
[next]
ARKLOW

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.