Online Encyclopedia

ARKLOW

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 556 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ARKLOW, a seaport and market town of Co. Wicklow, Ireland, in the east parliamentary division, 49 M. S. of Dublin, by the Dublin .& South-Eastern railway. Pop. (1901) 4944• Sea-fisheries are prosecuted, and there are oyster-beds on the coast, but the produce requires to be freed from a peculiar flavour by the purer waters of the Welsh and English coast before it is fit for food. The produce of the copper and lead mines of the Vale of Avoca is shipped from the port. There are cordite and explosives works, established by Messrs Kynoch of Birmingham, England. In 1882 an act was passed providing for the improvement of the harbour and for the appointment of harbour commissioners. The town hall and the Protestant church (1899) were gifts of the earl of Carysfort, in whose property the town is situated. There are slight ruins of an ancient castle of the Ormondes, demolished in 1649 by Cromwell. On the 9th of June 1798 the Irish insurgents, attacking the town, were defeated by the royal troops near Arklow Bridge, and their leader, Father Michael Murphy, was killed.
End of Article: ARKLOW
[back]
ARKANSAS CITY
[next]
SIR RICHARD ARKWRIGHT (1732-1792)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.