Online Encyclopedia

ARLINGTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 559 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ARLINGTON, a township of Middlesex county in E. Massa- chusetts, U.S.A. Pop. (1890) 5629; (1900) 8603, of whom 2387 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 11,187 Area, sa sq. m. It is served by the Boston & Maine railway. It has pleasant residential villages (Arlington, Arlington Heights, &c.) with attractive environs, and there is an excellent public library (the Robbins library). At Arlington Heights there are several well-known sanatoriums. Spy Pond (about too acres) is one of the prettiest bodies of water in the vicinity of Boston. Arlington is an important centre for market-gardening (in hot-houses), and along Mill Brook, in the township, are several factories, including chrome works,, a large mill and a manufactory of pianoforte cases. In 1762 Arlington was made a " precinct " of Cambridge (of which it was a part from 1635 to 1807) under the name of Menotomy. In 1807 it became a separate township under the name (retained until 1867) of West Cambridge. See B. and W. R. Cutter,History of the Town of Arlington . . . 1637-1879 (Boston, 1880); and C. S. Parker, The Town of Arlington, Past and Present (Arlington, 1907).
End of Article: ARLINGTON
[back]
KINGDOM OF ARLES
[next]
EARL OF HENRY BENNET ARLINGTON (1618-1685)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.