Online Encyclopedia

ARNSBERG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 640 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ARNSBERG, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Westphalia, romantically situated on an eminence almost surrounded by the river Ruhr, 44 M. S.E. of Minster and 58 m. E.N.E. of Disseldorf by rail. Pop. (moo) 849o. It is the seat of the provincial authorities, and has three churches, a court of appeal, a Roman Catholic gymnasium, which was formerly the Benedictine abbey of Weddinghausen, a library, a normal school and a chamber of commerce. Weaving, brewing and distilling are carried on, and there are manufactories of white lead, shot and paper, works for the production of railway plant, and saw-mills. Near the town are the ruins of the castle of the counts of Arnsberg, the last of whom, Gottfried, sold his count-ship, in 1368, to the archbishop of Cologne. The countship was incorporated by the archbishops in their duchy of Westphalia, which in 1802 was assigned to Hesse-Darmstadt and in x815 to Prussia. The town, which had received its first charter in 1237 and later joined the Hanseatic League, became the capital of the duchy.
End of Article: ARNSBERG
[back]
ARNOULD
[next]
ARNSTADT

Additional information and Comments

Good for you. One of the first sources that kind of gets history right. Wikipedia and Britannica murder it.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.