Online Encyclopedia

ASHINGTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 732 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ASHINGTON, an urban district in the Wansbeck parliamentary division of Northumberland, England, 4 M. E. of Morpeth, on the Newbiggin branch of the North Eastern railway. Pop. (Igor) 13,956. The district, especially along the river Wansbeck, is not without beauty, but there are numerous collieries, from the existence of which springs the modern growth of Ashington. At Bothal on the river (from which parish that of Ashington was formed) is the castle originally belonging to the Bertram family, of which Roger Bertram probably built the gatehouse, the only habitable portion remaining, in the reign of Edward III. The ruins of the castle are fragmentary, but of considerable extent. The church of St Andrew here has interesting details from Early English to Perpendicular date, and in the neighbouring woods is a ruined chapel of St Mary. The mining centre of Ashington lies 2 M. north-east, on the high ground north of the Wansbeck. 'ASHKENAZI, SEBI (1656–1718), known as IJakham Sebi, for some time rabbi of Amsterdam, was a resolute opponent of the followers of the pseudo-Messiah, Sabbatai Sebi (q.v.). He had a chequered career, owing to' his independence of character, He visited many lands, including England, where he wielded much influence. His Response are held in high esteem.
End of Article: ASHINGTON
[back]
ASHFORD
[next]
ASHLAND

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.