Online Encyclopedia

ATHENRY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 831 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ATHENRY, a market town of county Galway, Ireland, 14 M. inland (E.) from Galway on the Midland Great Western main line. Pop. (1901) 8J3. Its name is derived from Ath-na-riogh, the ford of kings; and it grew to importance after the Anglo-Norman invasion as the first town of the Burgs and Berminghams. The walls were erected in 1211 and the castle in 1238, and the remains of both are noteworthy. A Dominican monastery was founded with great magnificence by Myler de Bermingham in 1241, and was repaired by the Board of Works in 1893. Of the Franciscan monastery of 1464 little is left. The town returned two members to the Irish parliament from831 the time of Richard II. to the Union; but it never recovered from the wars of the Tudor period, culminating in a successful siege by Red Hugh O'Donnell in 1596.
End of Article: ATHENRY
[back]
ATHENODORUS
[next]
ATHENS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.