Online Encyclopedia

ATHERTON, or CHOWBENT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 846 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ATHERTON, or CHOWBENT, an urban district in the Leigh parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 13 M. W.N.W. of Manchester on the London & North-Western and Lancashire & Yorkshire railways. Pop. (1901) 16,211. The cotton factories are the principal source of industry; there are also ironworks and collieries. The manor was held by the local family of Atherton from John's reign to 1738, when it passed by marriage to Robert Gwillym, who assumed that name. In 1797 his eldest daughter and co-heiress married Thomas Powys, after-wards the second Lord Lilford. Up to 1891 the lord of the manor held a court-leet and court-baron annually in November, but in that year Lord Lilford sold to the local board the market tolls, stallages and pickages, and since this sale the courts have lapsed. The earliest manufactures were iron and cotton. Silk-weaving, formerly an extensive industry, has now almost entirely decayed. The first chapel or church was built in 1645. James Wood, who became Nonconformist minister in the chapel at Atherton in 1691, earned fame and the familiar title of " General " by raising a force from his congregation, uncouthly armed, to fight against the troops of the Pretender (1715).
End of Article: ATHERTON, or CHOWBENT
[back]
WILLIAM GUYBON ATHERSTONE (1813-1898)
[next]
ATHETOSIS (Gr. seers, " without place ")

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.