Online Encyclopedia

AUCHTERMUCHTY (Gaelic, " the high gro...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V02, Page 893 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
AUCHTERMUCHTY (Gaelic, " the high ground of the wild sow "), a royal and police burgh of Fifeshire, Scotland, built on an elevation about 9 m. W. by S. of Cupar, with a station on a branch of the North British railway from Ladybank to Mawcarse Junction. Pop. 1387. The rapid Loverspool Burn divides the town. The principal industries include the weaving of linen and damasks, bleaching, distilling and malting. John Glas, founder of the sect known as Glassites or Sandemanians, was a native of the town. A mile and a half to the south-west is the village of Strathmiglo (pop. 966), on the river Eden, with a linen factory and bleaching works.
End of Article: AUCHTERMUCHTY (Gaelic, " the high ground of the wild sow ")
[back]
SIR SAMUEL AUCHMUTY (1756-1822)
[next]
AUCKLAND

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.