Online Encyclopedia

AVEIA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 52 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
AVEIA, an ancient town of the Vestini, on the Via Claudia Nova, 6 m. S.E. of Aquila, N.E. of the modern village of Fossa. Some remains of ancient buildings still exist, and the name Aveia still clings to the place. The identification was first made by V. M. Giovenazzi, Della Cittd di Aveia ne' Vestini (Rome, 1773). Paintings in the church of S. Maria ad Cryptas, of the 12th to ,5th centuries, are important in the history of art. An inscription of a stationarius of the 3rd century, sent here on special duty (no doubt for the suppression of brigandage), was found here in Igo 2 (A. von Domaszewski, Rom. Mitt., 1902, 330).
End of Article: AVEIA
[back]
1ST BARON JOHN LUBBOCK AVEBURY (1834– )
[next]
AVEIRO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.