Online Encyclopedia

AZOV

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 85 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
AZOV, or Asov (in Turkish, Asak), a town of Russia, in the government of the Don Cossacks, on the left bank of the southern arm of the Don, about 20 M. from its mouth. The ancient Tanais lay some lo m. to the north. In the 13th century the Genoese had a factory here which they called Tana. Azov was long a place of great military and commercial importance. Peter the Great obtained possession of it after a protracted siege in 1696, but in 1711 restored it to the Turks; in 1739 it was finally united to the Russian empire. Since then it has greatly declined, owing to the silting up of its harbour and the competition of Taganrog. Its population, principally engaged in the fisheries, numbered 25,124 in 1900.
End of Article: AZOV
[back]
AZOTUS
[next]
SEA OF AZOV

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.