Online Encyclopedia

BALMORAL CASTLE (Gaelic, " the majest...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 284 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BALMORAL CASTLE (Gaelic, " the majestic dwelling "), a private residence of the British sovereign, in the parish of Crathie and Braemar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, on the right bank of the Dee (here spanned by a fine suspension bridge), 9 m. W. of Ballater and at a height of goo ft. above the sea. The property formerly belonged to the Farquharsons of Inverey, from whom it was acquired by Sir Robert Gordon, whose trustees disposed of the lease in 1848 to the prince consort, by whom the whole estate was purchased in 1852 and bequeathed to Queen Victoria. The castle is built of granite in the Scots baronial style, with an eastern tower zoo ft. high commanding a superb view—Ballochbuie and Braemar to the W., Glen Gairn to the N., Lochnagar and the beautiful valley of the Dee to the S. On Craig Gowan (1319 ft.), a hill 1 m. to the south, have been erected memorial cairns to Queen Victoria, the prince consort, Princess Alice and other members of the royal family of Great Britain. The parish church of Crathie (1903), replacing the kirk of 18o6, is 12 m. to the W., and about 2 M. farther west stands Abergeldie Castle, another Highland royal residence, an ancient building to which modern additions have been made, inhabited by King Edward VII. when prince of Wales, and after his accession to the throne used as a shooting-lodge.
End of Article: BALMORAL CASTLE (Gaelic, " the majestic dwelling ")
[back]
JAIME LUCIANO BALMES (1810—1848)
[next]
HENRY BALNAVES (1512?-1579)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.