Online Encyclopedia

BANDER LINGAH, or LINGA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 312 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BANDER LINGAH, or LINGA, a town of Persia on the northern shore of the Persian Gulf and about 300 M. by sea from Bushire, in 26° 33' N., 54° 54' E. Pop. about 1o,000. It forms part of the administrative divisions of the " Persian Gulf ports," whose governor resides at Bushire. The annual value of the exports and imports from and into Bander Lingah from 1890 to 1905 averaged about £800,000, but nearly half of that amount is represented by pearls which pass in transit from the fisheries on the Arab coast to Bombay. Like many other Persian Gulf ports, Bander Lingah was for many generations a hereditary patrimony of the Sheikh of an Arab tribe, in this case the Juvasmi tribe, and it was only in 1898 that the Arabs were expelled from the place by a Persian force. It is the chief port for the Persian province of Laristan (under Fars), and has a thriving trade with Bahrein and the Arab coast. It has a British post office, and the steamers of the British India Company call there weekly. Of the 133,000 tons of shipping which in 1905 entered the port 104,500 were British.
End of Article: BANDER LINGAH, or LINGA
[back]
BANDER ABBASI (also BENDER ABBAS, and other forms)
[next]
BANDEROLE (Fr. for a " little banner ")

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.