Online Encyclopedia

BENDIGO (formerly SANDHURST)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 716 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BENDIGO (formerly SANDHURST), a city of Bendigo county, Victoria, Australia, 1o1 m. by rail N.N.W. of Melbourne. Pop. (1901) 31,020. It is the centre of a large gold-field consisting of quartz ranges, with some alluvial deposits, and many of the mines are deep-level workings. The discovery of alluvial gold in 1851 brought many immigrants to the district; but the opening up of the quartz reefs in 1872 was the principal factor in the importance of Bendigo. It became a municipality in 1855 and a city in 1871. It is the seat of Anglican and Roman Catholic bishops. Besides mining, the local industries are the manufacture of Epsom pottery, bricks and tiles, iron-founding, stone-cutting, brewing, tanning and coach-building. The surrounding district produces quantities of wheat and fruits for export, and much excellent wine is made.
End of Article: BENDIGO (formerly SANDHURST)
[back]
BENDER (more correctly BENDERY)
[next]
KAREL BENDL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.