Online Encyclopedia

BERNBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 800 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BERNBURG, a town in the duchy of Anhalt, Germany, on the Saale, 29 M. N. by W. from Halle by rail, formerly the capital of the now incorporated duchy of Anhalt-Bernburg. Pop. (1900) 34,427; (1905) 34,929. It consists of four parts, the Altstadt or old town, the Bergstadt or hill town, the Neustadt or new town, and the suburb of Waldau—the Bergstadt on the right and the other three on the left of the river Saale, which is crossed by a massive stone bridge. It is a well-built city, the principal public buildings being the government house, the church of St Mary, the gymnasium and the house of correction. The castle, formerly the ducal residence, is in the Bergstadt, defended by moats, and surrounded by beautiful gardens. Bernburg is the seat of considerable industry, manufacturing machinery and boilers, sugar, pottery and chemicals, and has lead and zinc smelting. Market-gardening is also extensively carried on, and there is a large river traffic in grain and agricultural produce. Bernburg is of great antiquity. The Bergstadt was fortified by Otto III. in the loth century, and the new town was founded in the 13th. For a long period the different parts were under separate municipalities, the new town uniting with the old in 156o, and the Bergstadt with both in 1824. Prince Frederick removed the ducal residence to Ballenstedt in 1765.
End of Article: BERNBURG
[back]
JAKOB BERNAYS (1824-1881)
[next]
BARNES BERNERS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.