Online Encyclopedia

BERVIE, or INVERBERVIE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 814 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BERVIE, or INVERBERVIE, a royal and police burgh of Kincardineshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 1207. It is situated at the mouth of Bervie Water and is the terminus of the North British railway's branch line from Montrose, which lies 14 M. S.W. The leading industries include manufactures of woollens, flax and chemicals, and there is also a brisk trade in live-stock. Bervie unites with Arbroath, Brechin, Forfar and Montrose in returning one member (for the " Montrose burghs ") to parliament. David II., driven by stress of weather, landed here with his queen Joanna in 1341, and, out of gratitude for the hospitalityof the townsfolk, granted them a charter, which James VI. con-firmed. Hallgreen Castle, a stronghold of the 14th century, is maintained in repair. About one m. south is the fishing village of Gourdon (pop. 1197), where boat-building is carried an. There is a small but steady export business from the harbour, which has a pier and breakwater. St Ternan's, the Romanesque parish church of Arbuthnott, 21 M. north-west, stands on the banks of the Bervie. In the chapel dedicated to St Mary, which was afterwards added to it, is the burial-place of the Arbuthnotts, who took their title from the estate in 1644. John Arbuthnot, Queen Anne's physician and the friend of Swift and Pope, was a native of the parish. Kinneff, 2 M. north, on the coast, is of interest as the place where the Scottish regalia were concealed during the siege of Dunottar Castle.
End of Article: BERVIE, or INVERBERVIE
[back]
BERTRICH
[next]
BERVILLL LA R0OUE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.