Online Encyclopedia

BETHUNE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 831 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BETHUNE, a town of northern France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Pas-de-Calais, 24 M. N.N.W. of Arras, on the Northern railway between that town and St Omer. Pop. (1906) 12,6or. Bethune is situated on a low hill at the confluence of the Lame with the canal from Aire to Bauvin. Once strongly fortified, it is now surrounded by wide boulevards, and new quarters have grown up on its out-skirts. The old town is composed of winding streets and culs-de-sac bordered by old houses in the Flemish style. In the central square stands one of the finest belfries of northern France, a square structure surmounted by a wooden campanile, dating from the 14th century. St Vaast, the principal church of Bethune, belongs to the 16th century. The town is the seat of a sub-prefect, and has a tribunal of first instance, a chamber of commerce and a communal college among its public institutions. Bethune lies in the midst of the richest coal mines in France. Its industries include the distillation of oil, tanning, salt-refining, brewing, and the manufacture of earthenware and casks. Trade is carried on in flax, cloth, cereals, oil-seeds, &c. The town, which dates from the 11th century, was governed by its own lords till 1248, after which date it passed through the ownership of the counts of Flanders, the dukes of Burgundy, and the sovereigns of Austria and Spain. Ceded to France by the peace of Nijmwegen (1678), it was taken by the allied forces in 17 ro, and restored to France by the treaty of Utrecht.
End of Article: BETHUNE
[back]
BETHNAL GREEN
[next]
BETHUNE (FAMILY)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.