Online Encyclopedia

BIELLA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V03, Page 920 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BIELLA, a°;town and episcopal see of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Novara, 55 M. N.E. of Turin by rail, and 38 m. direct, situated on the S. edge of the lower Alps. Pop. (1901) town, 3454; commune, 19,267. The old town (1558 ft.) lies on a hill above the new town, and is reached from it by a cable tramway. It has fine palaces with decorations in terra-cotta; and a modern bath establishment is situated here. The new town contains the 15th-century cathedral and the fine Renaissance church of S. Sebastiano; near the former is a baptistery of the 9th century. It is a considerable manufacturing centre for woollens, silks and cottons, electric power being furnished by the torrents descending from the mountains at the foot of which it lies. It is frequented as a tourist centre, and several hydropathic establishments and mountain resorts lie in the vicinity.
End of Article: BIELLA
[back]
BIELITZ (Czech Bilsko, Polish Bielsko)
[next]
BIENNE, LAKE OF, or BIELERSEE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.