Online Encyclopedia

BLAGOVYESHCHENSK

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 32 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BLAGOVYESHCHENSK, a town of East Siberia, chief town of the Amur government, on the left bank of the Amur, near its confluence with the Zeya in 50° 15' N. lat. and 127° 38' E. long., 610 m. by river above Khabarovsk. Founded in 1856, the town had, in 1900, 37,368 inhabitants, and is the seat of the bishop of Amur and Kamchatka. There are steam flour-mills and iron-works. It is a centre for tea exported to Russia, cattle brought from TransbaikaIia and Mongolia for the Amur, and for grain.
End of Article: BLAGOVYESHCHENSK
[back]
BLAENAVON, or BLAENAFON
[next]
WILLIAM GARDEN BLAIKIE (1820-1899)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.