Online Encyclopedia

BLANTYRE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 43 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BLANTYRE, the chief town of the Nyasaland protectorate, British Central Africa. It is situated about 3000 ft. above the sea in the Shire Highlands 300 M. by river and rail N.N.W. of the Chinde mouth of the Zambezi. Pop. about 6000 natives and loo whites. It is the headquarters of the principal trading firms and missionary societies in the protectorate. It is also a station on the African trans-continental telegraph line. The chief building is the Church of Scotland church, a fine red brick building, a mixture of Norman and Byzantine styles, with lofty turrets and white domes. It stands in a large open space and is approached by an avenue of cypresses and eucalyptus. The church was built entirely by native labour. Blantyre was founded in 1876 by Scottish missionaries, and is named after the birthplace of David Livingstone.
End of Article: BLANTYRE
[back]
LOUIS AUGUSTE BLANQUI (18o5-1881)
[next]
BLANTYRE (Gaelic, " the warm retreat")

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.