Online Encyclopedia

BLAUBEUREN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 48 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BLAUBEUREN, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, 12 M. W. of Ulm, with which it is connected by railway. Pop. (1900) 3114. It is romantically situated in a wild and deep valley of the Swabian Alps at an altitude of 1600 ft. and is partly surrounded by ancient walls. Of the three churches (two Evangelical and one Roman Catholic) the most remarkable is the abbey church (Klosterkirche), a late Gothic building dating from 1465-1496, the choir of which contains beautiful 15th century carved choir-stalls and a fine high altar with a triptych (1496). The choir only is used for service (Protestant), the nave being used as a gymnasium. The town church (Stadtkirche) also has a fine altar with triptych. The Benedictine abbey, founded in 1095, was used after the Reformation as a school, and is now an Evangelical theological seminary. There are two hospitals in the town.
End of Article: BLAUBEUREN
[back]
BLASTULARIA
[next]
HELENA PETROVNA BLAVATSKY (1831-1891)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.