Online Encyclopedia

BOGODUKHOV

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 119 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BOGODUKHOV, a town of Russia, in the government of Kharkov, 45 M. by rail N.W. of the city of that name, in 49° 58' N. lat. and 36° 9' E. long., was formerly fortified. Pop. (r86o) 10,522; (1897) 11,928. There seems to have been a settlement on this site as early as 1591. In 1709, at the time of the Russo-Swedish War, Bogodukhov was taken by Menshikov and the emperor Alexius. It contains a cathedral, built in 1993. Boots, caps and furred gowns are manufactured, and gardening and tanning are carried on. The trade is principally in grain, cattle and fish.
End of Article: BOGODUKHOV
[back]
BOGO
[next]
BOGOMILS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.