Online Encyclopedia

BRANDON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 428 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BRANDON, a market town in the Stowmarket parliamentary division of Suffolk, England, on the Little Ouse or Brandon river, 861 m. N.N.E. from London by the Ely-Norwich line of the Great Eastern railway. Pop. (Igor) 2327. The church of St Peter is Early English with earlier portions; there is a freegrammar school founded in 1646; and the town has some carrying trade by the Little Ouse in corn, coal and timber. Rabbit skins of fine texture are dressed and exported. Extensive deposits of flint are worked in the neighbourhood, and the work of the " flint-knappers " has had its counterpart here from the earliest eras.of man. Close to Brandon, but in Norfolk across the river, at the village of Weeting, are the so-called Grimes' Graves, which, long supposed to show the foundations of a British village, and probably so occupied, were proved by excavation to have been actually neolithic flint workings. The pits, though almost completely filled up (probably as they became exhausted), were sunk through the overlying chalk to the depth of 20 to 6o ft., and numbered 254 in all. Passages branched out from them, and among other remains picks of deer-horn were discovered, one actually bearing in the chalk which coated it the print of the workman's hand.
End of Article: BRANDON
[back]
CHRISTIAN AUGUST BRANDIS (1790–1867)
[next]
BRANDY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.