Online Encyclopedia

BRANTOME

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 432 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BRANTOME, a town of south-western France, in the department of Dordogne, 20 M. N. by W. of Perigueux by steam-tramway. Pop. (1906) 1230. The town is built, in great part, on an island in the river Dronne. It is well known for the remains of an abbey founded by Charlemagne about 770 and afterwards destroyed by the Normans. The oldest existing portion is a square tower dating from the 1th century, built upon a rock beside the church which it overlooks. It communicates by a staircase with the church, a rectangular building partly Romanesque, partly Gothic, to the west of which are the remains of a cloister. The abbey buildings date from the 18th century, and now serve as hotel-de-ville, magistrature and schools. Caves in the neighbouring rocks were inhabited by the monks before the building of the abbey; one of them, used as an oratory, contains curious carvings, representing the Last Judgment and the Crucifixion. In the middle of the 16th century Pierre de Bourdeille came into possession of the abbey, from which he took the 'name of Brantome. Brantome has some old houses and a church of the 15th century, which was once fortified and is now used as a market. Truffles are the chief article of commerce; and there are quarries of freestone in the neighbourhood. The dolmen which is known as Pierre-Levee, to the east of the town, is the most remarkable in Perigord.
End of Article: BRANTOME
[back]
THOMAS DE BRANTINGHAM (d. 1394)
[next]
SEIGNEUR AND ABBE DE PIERRE DE BOURDEILLE BRANTOME ...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.