Online Encyclopedia

BRANXTON, or BRANKSTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 432 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BRANXTON, or BRANKSTON, a village of Northumberland, England, loz m. E. by N. of Kelso, and 2 M. E.S.E. of Coldstream, and to m. N.W. of Wooler. It was on Branxton Hill, immediately south of the village, that the battle of Flodden (q.v.) was fought between the English and the Scots on the 9th of September 1513. During the fight the Scots centre pushed as far as Branxton church, but " the King's Stone," which lies N.W. of the church and is popularly supposed to mark the spot where James IV. fell, is some three-quarters of a mile from the sceneof the battle; it is believed in reality to mark the sepulchre of a chieftain, whose name had already perished in the 16th century. Branxton church, dedicated to St Paul, was rebuilt in 1849 in Norman style. Of the older building nothing remains save the chancel arch.
End of Article: BRANXTON, or BRANKSTON
[back]
BRANXHOLM, or BRANKSOME
[next]
WILLIAM DE BRAOSE (d. 1211)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.