Online Encyclopedia

BRIGHTLINGSEA (pronounced BRITTLESEA)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 570 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BRIGHTLINGSEA (pronounced BRITTLESEA), a port and fishing station in the Harwich parliamentary division of Essex, England, on a creek opening from the east shore of the Colne estuary, the terminus of a branch from Colchester of the Great Eastern railway, 621 m. E.N.E. of London. Pop. of urban district (Igor) 4501. The Colchester oyster beds are mainly in this part of the Colne, and the oyster fishery is the chief industry. Boat-building is carried on. This is also a favourite yachting centre. The church, of All Saints, principally Perpendicular, has interesting monuments and brasses, and a fine lofty tower and west front. Brightlingsea, which appears in Domesday, is a member of the Cinque Port of Sandwich in Kent. Near the opposite shore of the creek is St Osyth's priory, which originated as a nunnery founded by Osyth, a grand-daughter of Penda, king of Mercia, martyred (c. 653) by Norse invaders. A foundation for Augustinian canons followed on the site early in the 12th century. The remains, incorporated with a modern residence, include a late Perpendicular gateway, abbots' tower, clock tower and crypt. The gateway, an embattled structure with flanking turrets, is particularly fine, the entire front being panelled and ornamented with canopied niches. The church of St Osyth, also Perpendicular in the main, is of interest.
End of Article: BRIGHTLINGSEA (pronounced BRITTLESEA)
[back]
SIR CHARLES TILSTON BRIGHT
[next]
BRIGHTON

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.