Online Encyclopedia

BUCKEBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 720 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BUCKEBURG, a town of Germany, capital of the principality of Schaumburg-Lippe, pleasantly situated at the foot of the Harrelberg on the river Aue, 6 m. from Minden, on the main railway from Cologne to Berlin. Pop. 6000. It has a palace standing in extensive grounds, a gymnasium, a normal seminary, a library, a synagogue, and three churches, one of which has the appropriate inscription, Religions non structurae exemplum. The first houses of Biickeburg began to gather round the castle about 1365; and it was not till the 17th century that the town was surrounded with walls, which have given place to a ring of pretty promenades. The poet J. G. von Herder was court preacher here from 1771 to 1776.
End of Article: BUCKEBURG
[back]
DUDLEY BUCK (1839-1909)
[next]
JOHN BUCKERIDGE (c. 1562-1631)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.