Online Encyclopedia

BUZEU

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 895 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
BUZEU, the capital of the department of Buzeu, Rumania, situated near the right bank of the river Buzeu, between the Carpathian Mountains and the fertile lowlands of south Moldavia and east Walachia. Pop. (1900) 21,561. Buzeu is important as a market for petroleum, timber and grain. It is the meeting- place of railroads from Ramnicu Sarat, Braila and Ploesci. Amber is found by the riverside, and there are cloth-mills in the city. Buzeu is the seat of a bishop, whose cathedral was erected in 164o by Prince Matthias Bassarab of Walachia, on the site of an older church. In the neighbourhood there are many monasteries. Buzeu was formerly called Napuca or Buzograd.
End of Article: BUZEU
[back]
BUYS
[next]
FRANCOIS NICOLAS LEONARD BUZOT (176o-1794)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.