Online Encyclopedia

CAIATIA (mod. Caiazzo)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V04, Page 948 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CAIATIA (mod. Caiazzo), an ancient city of Campania, on the right bank of the Volturnus, 11 m. N.E. of Capua, on the road between it and Telesia. It was already in the hands of the Romans in 306 B.c., and since in the 3rd century Inc. it issued copper. coins with a Latin legend it must have had the civitas sine suffragio. In the Social War it rebelled from Rome, and its territory was added to that of Capua by Sulla. In the imperi& period, however, we find it once more a municipium. Caiatia has remains of Cyclopean walls, and under the Piazza del Mercato is a large Roman cistern,which still provides a good water supply: The episcopal see was founded in A.D. 966. The place is frequently confused with Calatia (q.v.).
End of Article: CAIATIA (mod. Caiazzo)
[back]
CAHORS
[next]
CAIETAE PORTUS (mod. Gaeta)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.