Online Encyclopedia

CALLANDER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 55 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CALLANDER, a police burgh of Perthshire, Scotland, 16 m. north-west of Stirling by the Caledonian railway. Pop. (1901) 1458. Situated on the north bank of the Teith, here crossed by a three-arched bridge, and sheltered by a ridge of wooded hills, it is in growing repute as a health resort. A mile and a half north-east are the Falls of Bracklinn (Gaelic, "white-foaming pool"), formed by the Keltie, which takes a leap of 50 ft. down the red sandstone gorge on its way to the Teith. Two miles north-west of Callander is the Pass of Leny, " the gate of the Highlands," and farther in the same direction is Loch Lubnaig, on the shores of which stand the ruins of St Bride's chapel. Callander owes much of its prosperity to the fact that it is the centre from which the Trossachs is usually visited, the route being thatdescribed in Scott's Lady of the Lake. The ascent of Ben Ledi is commonly made from the town.
End of Article: CALLANDER
[back]
CALL (from Anglo-Saxon ceallian, a common Teutonic ...
[next]
CALLAO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.