Online Encyclopedia

CALW

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 79 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CALW or KALW, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, on the Nagold, 34 M. S.W. of Stuttgart by rail. Pop. (1905), 4943. It contains a Protestant and a Roman Catholic Church, two schools, missionary institution, and a fine 1 Adherents and members in scattered hamlets and attending different meeting-houses or chapels, often combine to form one society or church. public library. The industries include spinning and weaving operations in wool and cotton. Carpets, cigars and leather are also manufactured. The timber trade, chiefly with the Nether-lands, is important. The place is in favour as a health resort. The name of Calw appears first in 1037. In the middle ages the town was under the dominion of a powerful family of counts, whose possessions finally passed to Wurttemberg in 1345. In 1634 the town was taken by the Bavarians, and in 1692 by the French.
End of Article: CALW
[back]
CARLOS CALVO (1824-1906)
[next]
CALYDON (Kaw&iav)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.