Online Encyclopedia

CAMPULUNG (also written Campu Lung an...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V05, Page 139 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
CAMPULUNG (also written Campu Lung and Kimpulung), the capital of the department of Muscel, Rumania, and the seat of a suffragan bishop; situated among the outlying hills of the Carpathian Mountains, at the head of a long well-wooded glen traversed by the river Tirgului, a tributary of the Argesh. Pop. (1900) 13,033. Its pure air and fine scenery render Campulung a popular summer resort. In the town are more than twenty churches, besides a monastery and a cathedral, which both claim to have been founded, in the 13th century, by Radul Negru, first prince of Walachia. The Tirgului supplies water-power for several paper-mills; annual fairs are held on the 20th of July and the 24th of October; and there is a considerable traffic with Transylvania,over the Torzburg Pass, 15 M. north, and with the south by a branch railway to Ploesci. Near Campulung are the remains of a Roman camp; and, just beyond the gates, vestiges of a Roman colony, variously identified with Romula, Stepenium and Ulpia Traiana, but now called Gradistea or Jidovi.
End of Article: CAMPULUNG (also written Campu Lung and Kimpulung)
[back]
ARSENIO MARTINEZ DE CAMPOS (1831-1900)
[next]
VINCENZO CAMUCCINI (1773-1844)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.